Sunday, June 19, 2011

Mini Movie Review- Green Lantern






As always, I try to keep things as spoiler free as possible.

Recently I went to the drive-in.  Where I live, the drive-in gets you two movies for the price of one, and you can bring in your own food.  I usually reserve the drive-in for movies I have low expectations for, or for movies I don't want to spend as much money on.  I was super stoked for Green Lantern all year, until I saw the reviews last week.  I usually try not to let critics get in the way of enjoying a movie, but this one is at 25% or so on Rotten Tomatoes, and when that many critics hate a movie, there are usually some problems.

As such, I went in with low expectations.  Even then, I wasn't blown away.  The idea behind the Green Lanterns is cool.  They can create anything their "will" allows, just imagine it and they can create it.  The movie never lives up to the limitless possibilities imagination can create.

Ryan Reynolds did a good job, he actually was one of the best parts of the movie.

One of the baddies, Hector Hammond, is played by Peter Sarsgaard. That dude can squeal.  He squeals this insane scream I think 3 or 4 times.  I bet he had fun playing that character.

Most of the special effects were pretty awesome, especially on the world of Oa.  But movies are more than eye candy to me.  The movie felt oddly paced, had some cheesy dialogue, not enough action and the ending felt anti-climactic.

That being said, I somehow still managed to enjoy myself during bits of the movie.  Some of it was funny, or clever.

But this movie should have been amazing, possibly best movie of the year (outside of Potter) but as it stands, its a slightly above average comic book movie.

Don't believe the hate, it's not as bad as Batman & Robin or Daredevil.  When (or if) you go just sit back, try not to think too much and you might find yourself having a somewhat fun time.  I also think if you have a 9-13 year old boy, he would definitely dig it.


3 out of 5 springs under a Semi

No comments:

Post a Comment